In an increasingly interconnected world, where borders are fading and cultures are becoming more intertwined, the importance of a global education has never been more evident. Amity International School Amsterdam shares the seven reasons why international schools stand out as an exceptional choice for students seeking a holistic and internationally-focused education.
As both parents and students seek to equip themselves with the skills and knowledge necessary to thrive in the global landscape, the choice of a school becomes paramount. Enter the international school: a dynamic educational environment that transcends geographical boundaries, offering a unique blend of academic excellence, cultural diversity, and a global perspective.
Let’s dive into the realm of international schools and the various advantages that they offer:
1. Exposure to an intercultural environmentOne of the most significant advantages to the international school is its intercultural environment. International schools foster a rich tapestry of cultures, bringing together students from diverse backgrounds under one roof. This cultural mosaic provides a conducive environment for students to develop global perspectives, empathy and cross-cultural understanding – skills that are becoming increasingly indispensable in our globalised society.
2. Globally-recognised diplomas and educationRenowned for their high academic standards, international schools usually offer rigorous curricula that prepare students for global challenges, such as the International Baccalaureate (IB) or Cambridge International Examinations. By embracing innovative teaching methods, international schools nurture critical thinking, creativity, and independent learning, empowering students to excel academically and become lifelong learners.
Even if a family moves to another country, their children can continue their studies at a new international school from the point that they left off in their previous school due to the large network of international schools offering these same curriculum programmes.
In addition, after graduating from an international school, children can enter universities all around the world, as many local and national governments recognise these diplomas. The IB diploma in particular is accepted in 75 countries at more than 2.000 universities. Furthermore, if your child wants to attend a university in the Netherlands, the IB diploma is equivalent to a Dutch VWO diploma (highest level of secondary education).
3. Multiple language offeringsFluency in multiple languages is an asset that opens doors to many opportunities. International schools are known to offer a broad range of language programmes, facilitating language acquisition and allowing students to become proficient in languages beyond their mother tongue. This linguistic prowess equips students with a competitive advantage in an increasingly interconnected world.
4. Experiential learning opportunitiesInternational schools often emphasise experiential learning through residential trips, exchange programmes, and cultural immersion activities. These hands-on experiences allow students to explore new cultures, broaden their horizons, and gain a deep appreciation for different perspectives. This experiential learning complements classroom education, helping students develop a well-rounded worldview.
An international school education equips students with a competitive edge when it comes to university admissions and career opportunities. Admissions officers and employers value the global mindset, adaptability, and language skills that international school graduates bring to the table. This advantage sets them apart in an increasingly globalised and competitive job market.
5. Global networkHaving a network of alumni, faculty members, and a community of parents from all over the world provides students with significant opportunities for their future. These connections create lifelong friendships, foster professional networks, and provide a global support system that extends far beyond graduation.
A vast network of like-minded individuals can provide students with valuable opportunities for internships, mentorships, as well as potential career connections in various parts of the world.
6. Personal growthLiving and studying in a foreign country can be a transformative experience for students, as it exposes them to different cultures, customs, and perspectives. However, apart from that, many international schools encourage students to step out of their comfort zones and take risks. This can help students succeed in the 21st century.
7. Intercultural outlookInternational schools foster a global outlook among students by promoting an inclusive and open-minded environment. Students learn to appreciate diversity, respect different opinions, and understand global issues. They develop a broader understanding of the world and are better equipped to tackle global challenges, such as climate change, poverty and inequality, with a global mindset.
By choosing an international school, students embark on a transformative educational journey that transcends borders, fostering cultural awareness, academic excellence, and a global perspective.
Consider sending your child to an international schoolThe seven reasons outlined in this blog highlight the myriad benefits of an international school education, guiding students towards a future where they can embrace the world with confidence, empathy, and a deep appreciation for cultural diversity.
Are you looking for an international school in the Amsterdam region? Amity International School Amsterdam would be delighted to welcome you and your children to their community! They understand that choosing the right school is one of the most important decisions you will make as a family and their team is happy to support you with that decision. For more information, contact their Admissions Department.