Christmas is fast approaching, but before you dig your tinsel and stockings out of storage, there’s one very spooky holiday to celebrate first. Yes, that’s right: All Hallows’ Eve is only a few short weeks away, and we’ve put together a list of some of the biggest and spookiest Halloween events taking place in the Netherlands this year.
Celebrating Halloween 2022 in the Netherlands Let the countdown to Halloween officially begin! Not quite sure how you’re celebrating yet? Don’t worry, we’ve got you (and the rest of your family) covered!
1. Spooky Days and Fright Nights at Walibi This event is an absolute classic, and comes back around every year as one of the most famous and popular Halloween events in the Netherlands. Every year, Walibi hosts Spooky Days – perfect for some festive family-friendly fun – and Fright Nights – something a little scarier for the older Halloween fans. The events run all weekend in the first two weeks of October, and then daily from October 15 through to October 30.
YouTube / Walibi Holland
2. Amsterdam Halloween at WesterUnieThis year sees the 13th edition of Amsterdam Halloween return to WesterUnie (a nightclub in the Dutch capital), and it’s a perfect event for anyone who likes to use Halloween as an excuse to get dressed up and party. Advertised as the biggest Halloween party in Amsterdam, this year’s theme is Return of the Mayans, and the event takes place on Saturday, October 29.
YouTube / 404 Visuals
3. Crazy Sexy Cool HalloweenAnother event for those who are no longer considered children but still want to celebrate the spooky season is Crazy Sexy Cool in Rotterdam. This massive party will be taking over the Zuiderpark on Saturday, October 29, and no costume is too wild or too racy here. Anything goes, so get ready for big costumes and even bigger scares!
YouTube / TRW THEREALWORLDTV
4. Halloween Days and Nights at ToverlandSimilarly to Walibi, this theme park near Eindhoven hosts various Halloween events for all age groups throughout the month of October. Take the little ones along for some age-appropriate scares at Halloween Days, or check out Toverland’s Halloween Nights for some suitably spooky haunted experiences and scare zones.
YouTube / Attractiepark Toverland
5. Halloween-Climbing at Fun ForestThis one is an event for anyone who likes to get their blood pumping – and not just through scares, but through exercise! Visit a Fun Forest Park in Almere, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, or Venlo to partake in one of their Halloween-Climbing events (all of them are scheduled for either October 28 or 29).
YouTube / Fun Forest
6. Halloween RunAnother more active way of celebrating Halloween is to take part in this year’s Halloween Run in Almere Buiten. But this isn’t your typical organised run. Oh no, prepare to encounter zombies, terrifying clowns and many other horrific scenes on Saturday, October 29. There are three different distances to choose from; the 1-kilometre kids walk, the 2,5-kilometre adult walk, and the 5-kilometre run.
YouTube / Jefry Visser
7. Fantasy Fest This event is perfect for anyone interested in fantasy worlds, and is the ideal place to pick up some outfit inspiration or some final bits and bobs for your killer Halloween costume. Head to Fantasy Fest in The Hague on October 15 and 16, where you’ll find plenty of diverse items on sale (everything from make-up to shoes!), live music, and a number of exciting performances.
YouTube / Jacques van Herten
8. Halloween at Center Parcs If you’re thinking it might be nice to plan a little family retreat this month, then this is a perfect way to kill two birds with one stone! Why not book a Halloween-themed weekend away at one of the various Center Parcs across the Netherlands, where you’ll be able to carve pumpkins, decorate broomsticks, and send the younger ones to show off their deadly dance moves at the Halloween Disco.
YouTube / Center Parcs
Have a frighteningly bone-chilling Halloween!There certainly is something for everyone, but regardless of how you choose to spend your Halloween this year – at home with popcorn and a movie, or in a club dressed to the nines – be sure to have a fantastically and frighteningly bone-chilling time!