Novorésumé wants to help those of you who find searching for a job a daunting and scary prospect. Here are their top tips when it comes to landing that dream job in the Netherlands.
It’s hard to know where to start when you’re looking to land your dream job. Isn’t it? Searching for a job can be hard – unless you’ve got the right skills to call upon. First, you have to recognise the unique set of skills that you can offer a prospective position – now all you’ve to do is find that job that will match your skills perfectly. Sounds simple, but this can be overwhelming at times.
The job-search processThe job-search process doesn’t have to be so daunting. The number one reason why some people find searching for a job difficult is that they don’t fully understand the process. If you know the ins and outs of resume creation, job interviews, and all the other aspects of the job-search process, you’ll see that it is actually very easy to grasp, once you know the skills you’re required to have!
Job hunting – What does it mean?Job hunting, job searching, or job-seeking – whatever you want to call it – is a process (sometimes a lengthy one) where you look for gainful employment. It could be because you’re unemployed, made redundant, you are dissatisfied with your current job, or for a number of other reasons.
The job hunt processWe’ve defined nine points that are relevant to the job hunt process.
1. Define your career goalsYour number one on the job hunt process list is to clearly define your career goals. Most importantly: what’s the role you’re actually looking for? Are you staying in your current field of expertise, or do you want to change your career path?
2. Write a convincing resumeMake sure your resume is easy to read, well-presented, concise, and contains the correct information for the job you’re applying for. Also, you need to make sure that your resume is compliant with the Applicant Tracking System (ATS) and is ATS-friendly, otherwise, you run the risk of getting your resume automatically rejected when it doesn’t meet the criteria ATS is looking for.
3. Take full advantage of job boardsThere are many to choose from but pick the ones that’ll be useful for you in your job search. Be specific. Be prepared to move around the job boards if some aren’t working for you.
4. Be rationalDon’t make the mistake of a spray-and-pray approach – it won’t work! Take a different approach, be intentional and specific by applying to vacancies and companies you know you’ve got something exceptional to offer to.
5. Become a research guruWhy? Well, by putting in the hours in researching a company that you’re applying to, you’ll find out more about the company, its products and services, its culture, etc. All these will help you evaluate whether or not you’ll be a good fit for the company. You definitely don’t want to apply to a company where you’re not going to enjoy working.
6. Write a killer cover letterThe first big DON’T is to think you’ll get away with a copy-and-paste cover letter – you won’t. It’ll only go one way: directly to the trash can. A big DO is to ensure you tailor your cover letter and clearly highlight why you’re a good fit for the role and the company. Make the recruiter know they’ll be missing out if they don’t interview you at the very least (or even hire you).
7. Tailor your resumeDon’t use the same resume over and over again. That’ll be a BIG mistake. You need to tailor each resume so that you show the recruiter the skills and experiences that you’ve got to offer for the job you’re applying for.
8. Ace that interviewWhen you leave the interview room, you want the interviewers to believe that they’d be mad not to hire you. Preparation is key to improving your interview techniques. Try memorising the most commonly asked questions, rehearse your answers at home, from your research about the company: decide what to wear and how to get to the interview venue (on time, preferably 10 to 15 minutes beforehand).
9. Get hiredFinally, we want you to get hired – that’s our ninth wish for you. Landing your dream job is totally possible if you learn the skills you need to have a successful job search!
When you’re looking for a new position, be proactive and specific to the places that you’re applying to. Don’t forget to tailor your resume and cover letter with Novorésumé to best show the recruiter what you have to offer them and why you’re the best person for the job.